Monday, September 7, 2009

The past few days I've been house sitting for friends and enjoying a bit of a retreat. They live outside the city of Portland in Falmouth amidst the large sometimes fabricated homes. But their's has a charm a beautiful backyard with fur trees and nicely landscaped flower beds, a tire swing-that I almost fell off of while trying to get on, and a screened in porch with bright blue swing where I spent a better part of my day taking in the surroundings. Its nice not to wake up to the sounds of large trucks rushing by my bedroom window. I don't mind the city but having grown up in the country there is a part of me that will always find it comforting. However some might complain that the crows are entirely too loud or that the school traffic in the morning is as just as loud as the city trucks.

It was nice not to work a holiday shift for a change-back to work tomorrow. Smiling, welcoming, seating, smiling, welcoming, seating.......and so on. I don't mind it when for the most part it pays the bills. However, I don't recall in third grade ever responding 'when I grow up I want to be a hostess.' And then I start thinking about society and how we have totally lost it or rather have not changed at all. Aristocrat:Executive Farmer:Farmer. We belittle the man who works 60 hours or more on his farm, sets a good example for hard workmanship, and the support of a family because we get into our heads that a high executive position is better and entitles the person to more dignity. A big window opens for low self-esteem, love is distorted is lost.

1 comment:

fai lok teen see said...

I once made this statement: "I am not defined by my job." Never thought I would actually have to live out that statement. And I am thankful for what it has taught me.